Service Hours Definition
Service hours will be defined as any activity that a student gives up time for, will not be paid for, and helps others. These volunteer hours can be completed inside and outside the school. Students will not be able to use family chores or anything they are being rewarded for as service hours.
Service Hours Overview
- Each student will be expected to complete 15 service hours per year.
- Only 4 hours may be counted from one activity unless you are making a long term commitment.
- If a student has not completed service hours by the deadline given, he/she will be ineligible to participate in any extracurricular activity.
- Students will not be allowed to graduate until all service hours are completed.
- At the end of each year students will be expected to turn in a 2-3 page paper answering questions about their experiences.
- Papers will be graded on a pass/fail basis, and service hours will not be complete until the paper has passed.
- Students will have in school and out of school opportunities to choose from.
- We require students to spend at least 6 service hours on out of house activities.
Mission and Goals
- To give each student the opportunity to use Christian values learned in the classroom in real world experiences.
- To stretch students beyond their comfort zone to promote personal growth.
- To allow students to have a positive effect on and be positively affected by people they would not normally meet.
- To teach students the value of using their time to put the interests of others in front of their own.
- To promote a community where students can build each other up and help those who are less able to help themselves.
- To show the Christian character of CLA students to those inside and outside of the school.
- As an added bonus, our students' college applications will be enhanced.
Service Opportunities (incomplete list)
- Concessions/admissions at sporting events - please see Jed Bennett or Sharon White
- Tutoring - please see Donna Morrison
- Mentoring - please see Natalie Salsgiver
Out of School:
- Feed My Starving Children (Schaumburg, IL)
- Abortion counselling - please see Dave Berquist
- Campus Life Ministries (Arlington Heights)
- Animal shelter in Northbrook
- Warm Blankets orphan care (Rolling Meadows)
*There will be transportation and chaperones at some out of school events
Click here to download full Service Hours Guide.